2.05.2007

Last TV post - I promise!

I know what you're thinking - "Lady, enough about the TV already!" But we got the verdict today - by mail. Maybe they thought if they called on the phone I'd cry - the official letter said "uneconomical to repair." Can't say I was surprised, but I was holding out hope ...

So here's how the morning went, sans TV. I didn't manage to get a shower, and sent Em running for the bus as it pulled up at the stop yelling "I'll bring your glasses to school if I find them" as she ran. She also forgot her library books.
I debated about trying to get Jane down for a nap and showering during it, but what might Jacob do to her in her sleep? Maybe I could miss a shower - after all I'd had one at 2am when she puked all over me & our bed - but instead opted to just hurry and take a shower while they played & put her down later. I was just rinsing conditioner when I heard her cry out in pain - a peak around the curtain revealed Jacob standing next to her, running electric toothbrush in hand. Poor baby has so many unusual injuries. I hurried out of the shower, and sat in a towel wet & dripping on my bed to try and nurse her to sleep.

I saw Jacob walk by my room, and heard him turn on the water. Mmmmm, what's the worst he can do? Get his clothes & the floor wet. It's already laundry day, and I'll just change his clothes and mop up the floor - at least Jane will get a nap.
Jacob appeared at the door to my room - he looked at me with a defiant smile, as if to say "Don't you see what I'm doing?" Then headed back to the bathroom. A minute later he was back - wetter, with the same cheeky grin. I saw him pass by my door a few times, all the while listening to the sound of water splashing, and watching Jane's eyelids droop. THEN, I saw him go by with one of his boots in hand ... Not wanting to know what damage a boot-full of water can cause I lept up to intervene. Jane started screaming, and so did Jacob - banging on the closed bathroom door screaming "black boot, black boot."
Here are my thoughts as I dried & changed him & calmed Jane down-
* I wish we had our TV, so he could watch Sesame Street, and Jane could nap.
* What can I do to keep him still a minute?
* I wish we had an attached garage. I could strap him in his car seat, and he could watch a DVD in the car.
* Our street is pretty safe. I bet a running car in the driveway would be OK. I hardly ever see anyone I don't know here.
* Even if someone stole the car - they probably wouldn't want a kid, just the car.
* I bet we'd get him back - wouldn't we?
Realizing that I was willing to risk Jacob being kidnapped for Jane to get a nap, snapped me back to my senses. I tossed them both in the car and we went for a drive to let Jane sleep. We took Emily her glasses (but didn't realize about the library books until we were home) and also hit the post office, and then McDonald's (nothing like fries and a shake for good morning nutrition,) making sure we were in motion for 45 minutes, and Jane got enough nap to be her cute happy self again.
Anyway, the rest of the day was a little smoother ... but now we need to decide. Should we get a new TV? The same one? Will he just break that one too? Get something uglier, with poorer picture, but more durable? I think we should use the damaged one for a while longer (you can still see, it just has about a 4-6" section you can't see) We'll wait and see if he does anything more to it, if not then replace it with the same one. What do you think (but comment fast - we need something ASAP!)

5 comments:

liz said...

I love so much that you have a blog- you totally make me laugh, but terrified to have more childre nall at the same time. I have no idea how nursing and toddler running loose is going to happen in my home this summer! all those details I don't think about when wanting another child- silly me!

hrmm...the tv situation is a hard one. i would get a cheapo portable one until we pulled together discretionary income from enough checks to get the t.v. we really want. even though it would ultiamtely break the 1+ t.v. rule in the house once you get the new big one. although you could just put it in the garage or sell it on craig's list.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't imagine life without TV, and its more for the kids to watch than for me, although its then for me as I can get on with so much while they're occupied. Aren't you insured for accidental damage, or the equivalent in the US? You must have some sort of insurance cover and could probably claim for a brand new TV. If not, I still say get a new TV the same (especially with Jacob around!!)and make sure you do take out good insurance!!

Anonymous said...

I loved your thought process about putting Jacob in the car to watch TV. I'm at work reading it and laughing away at my desk! Go for a nice TV - it's not likely to get broken the same way twice, is it?

Jenni said...

Whatever you do, buy the next one at Costco. Apparently they have an amazing return policy, so if the next one does break, they'll take it back and refund you the money. This is a trick I learned from the Roddy's...they buy as much as they can from Costco for that reason. I feel your pain...I mean, how would I BLOG without the blessed tv???!!!

Brooke said...

Go for Costco all the way. we buy all electronics there now since we found out about the "amazing return policy!"